About First Street:
First Street is a mixed-use downtown redevelopment project in St. Charles, Illinois.
The project site spans five downtown blocks south of Main St./IL Rt. 64, between Second St./IL Rt. 31 and the Fox River.
The First Street project will create a unified development area integrated within the core of the City’s historic riverfront downtown.
Redevelopment plans consist of multi-story buildings with retail, restaurant, residential, and office spaces in a walkable environment, with attractive and functional public spaces.
The first two phases of the five-phases project were completed in 2009. Construction on Phase 3, the riverfront property at the northeast corner of Illinois and First Street, is currently underway.
Key components of the First Street Project:
- Multi-story mixed use buildings.
- Street-level storefront spaces for retail, service businesses, and restaurants.
- Upper level residential units and office spaces.
- Two parking garages with over 500 public parking spaces, plus additional on-street and surface parking spaces. (The Plaza Parking Deck building with over 400 public parking spaces was completed in 2009)
- Public improvements include new streets and sidewalks, streetscape features (lighting, benches, landscaping, etc.) as well as replacement of electric, water and sewer infrastructure.
- Public access along the river via an improved, two-level river walk.
- Public plaza at the north end near Main Street, extending from the river west across First Street (Portion of plaza west of First St. completed).
- Relocation and expansion of the Blue Goose supermarket (completed in 2009).